Friday, September 27, 2013

Infringer who originally offered £150 forced to pay £20,000 in settlement

A music and entertainment company who offered £150 for their unlicenced and unlawful use of an exclusive image of pop stars cavorting on a sofa has agreed to pay photographer Jason Sheldon £20,000 following a Patents Court decision in May. Read More (from Editorial Photographers UK & Ireland)

This is great to see a proper settlement and will hopefully set a precedent in the UK and follow into the EU when it comes to companies using unlicensed photographs. Jason was "lucky" the offenders even made him an "offer" to begin with, in my experience and dozens more I've read contact is just ignored, but well done to him for taking it all the way. 

Jason's website - Junction10 Photography




6 comments:

  1. I bet they wish they had paid the original asking price, ended up being almost 20 times more :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of websites like Tumblr and Pinterest I think theres a growing thinking that images are free. I've experienced it myself a number of times :( Don't think I'd get a settlement that good though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, some sites have made to easy for photos & art to become disconnected from their creators.

      Delete
  3. The general assumption is that I had uploaded the image to Tumblr.. in actual fact, I've never uploaded anything to Tumblr in my life.. It's difficult enough to keep control of your work when it's on your own website, let alone a site whose whole purpose is to 'share' creative content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input Jason, was great to see you get the settlement after their ridiculous offer and hope you don't have to go through the hassle of it going this far again.

      Delete