I've a silly amount of camera bags:
- LowePro Stealth Reporter D200 AW, my most used one, great walk around bag
- LowePro Slingshot 202 AW, never really liked this bag so was usually relegated to storing stuff
- Think Tank Retrospective 30, a bit big for a walk around, great for location shoots but not secure (Reviewed here)
- Hama Track Pack old one that I use occasionally to bring extra gear
So with some travel coming up it was time to buy yet another bag! I will be packing the LowePro Stealth in my checked bag to use as a carry around when I reach my destinations, but I wanted to carry on my actual gear, in case anything went missing either accidentally or maliciously when checked in to the hold.
After a lot of researching (a number of LowePro's & Think Tank's) I decided on the LowePro Roller 100 AW, its a little bit small for me but it is regulation carry on size, even for the "budgetest" of airlines (i.e. Ryanair!) and other smaller domestic flight operators.
The wheels are sturdy but if do need replacing, only require an Allen key. It can take upto an 11" laptop, I don't have a laptop at present, but I'm hoping at a squeeze it will take a larger one, not the end of the world if it doesn't.
Fits (as per the LowePro website):
- 1 Pro DSLR or 1-2 Pro DSLRs without grip, with attached 70-200mm f/2.8 lens
- 3-4 extra lenses
- Spare batteries and memory cards
- Up to an 11" laptop or tablet
- Extra accessories or personal items
- Notebook Compartment: 33.3 x 1.9 x 24.8 cm (13.11 x 0.75 x 9.76 in)
- Internal Dimensions: 33.7 x 12.7 x 40 cm (13.27 x 5.00 x 15.75 in)
- External Dimensions: 35.6 x 18.4 x 47.6 cm (14.02 x 7.24 x 18.74 in)
- Weight: 3.5 kg (7.70 lbs)
I used some extra velcro dividers I had from my other bags to divide the bag up a bit more than the provided dividers allowed. This fits pretty much everything I need except my large reflector, but once all airlines allow this as carry on, I'm more than happy.
- Nikon D700 + 85mm lens
- Fuji X100
- Nikkor 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 50mm
- Nikon Speedlight SB800
- 2 x Cactus triggers
- Nikon & Fuji chargers
- AA batteries
- Camera batteries
- Memory card case
- Memory card reader
- Cables (flash, power)
- Torch, Monocular, pocket tripod (for Fuji), lens & body caps, mp3 player
- And other smaller bits in the pocket on the left of the photo
- Meets all airline carry on specs
- Sturdy, well padded
- Its a roller!
- Adjustable layout
- Handle can be hidden away
- Side handles
- All weather cover
- Front pockets
- Given that its airline regulation size, I can't really put lack of laptop space as a con